Friday, February 20, 2015

The Bible Boldness Experiment, Day 5



If I had to pick a favorite youth group event, it would probably be the one I attended tonight. Parents' Night Out is always a total delight, even though I don't know the kids very well and most of them aren't super comfortable with me. I adore little ones, and I love spending time with them.
When I went to Parents' Night Out tonight,I expected the kids to be curious about the verse on my face, but I also expected them not to ask, because they don't know me well. (If you didn't know this, I attend St.Stephen Lutheran as my home church, but we don't exactly have a youth group, so I go to youth at First Presbyterian.)
After dinner, the kids were eating ice cream sandwiches and a couple of them were asking about Austin, my brother, having not known him either. So Rose accomadated them, saying, "That's Miss Cassie's brother. Do you know who Cassie is?" When they all shook their heads, she pointed me out with the words, "That's Cassie, with the writing on her face." It was a perfectly placed outlet for the kids to ask about the writing.
"What does it say?" Aubrey inquired.
"It's a Bible verse," I replied. "Phillipians 4:13, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." They all nodded, openly accepting of this concept in a way that was typical of a child, but also stunningly Christian.
Quinn (I don't pick favorite children, but if I did...) wanted to know why I had to write on my face. I explained to him that I didn't have to, that I wanted to.
Again, he stunned me with his acceptance of a concept that so many adults do not understand.
I think, a lot of the time, we get so caught up in our busy lives that we forget to be like Quinn and Aubrey. We forget the simple acceptance and wonder that children so freely express. I think that's why I inevitably come away from Parents' Night Out with a serenity in my heart. God is so evident in these little children!
If I could wish anything for myself, it would be to have the open acceptance and wonder that they do.
Always, Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment