Friday, November 28, 2014

Why I Love School

So, why I love school is today's topic. School is something that so many teenagers absolutely hate with a burning passion. I am not one of those teenagers. I love school. I love it so much that I would literally go to school every single day and be so happy about it you would've thought it was Christmas. Why, you ask? Because I love to learn, for one. I really do. And because of my friends and my boyfriend, those are also reasons that make sense.
But, to be honest, I actually think it is mostly to do with the simple fact that I go to the Caldwell Career Center Middle College, and that makes all the difference in the world. For those of you who don't know what that super long name means, my school is a four-year high school program that allows me to earn college credits toward my associate's degree, while taking classes related to my academy, which will lead toward my chosen field of study. The three academies to choose from are Life Sciences (my academy!), Advanced Technologies, and Engineering. If you know me at all, it's obvious where I fit in that scenario. My biomed instructor is one of the most incredible people I have ever met. If you do not know Connie Root, you are missing out in life. She is the kind of teacher that brings life into her classroom, simply because she is passionate about teaching and loves her students with a mother's love. I am not exaggerating when I use my classmate's analogy that we are the chicks and Mrs.Root is the mother bird. It's completely accurate. Whereas some teachers aim simply to stuff our heads with the information needed to pass the exam and get out of their classroom, Mrs.Root aims to do more with us. It is never so much about the final exam or even that pesky unit test as it is about learning, processing, gaining information, and going somewhere in life. Mrs. Root teaches us more than the skeletal system and what the term gel electrophoresis actually means. She teaches us how to get that information: how to use our resources and how to be successful in life. She teaches us love and compassion and so many other things.
But Mrs.Root isn't the only teacher at CCCMC that is extraordinary in the way of teachers. I have had the same English teacher for three consecutive semesters in the classes of Communication Skills, English 1 and English 2. Carly Johnson teaches more than English as well. Seeing as she is so much like me, I have learned a lot from her and frequently go to her for life advice. Speaking of life advice, Mr.Brian Thigpen is definitely our go-to for advice at the middle college. (I've also learned a lot from his incredible wife, author Kimberly Rae.) He has taught us all a lot about life, and maybe a little math along the way. :)
Aside from the amazing teachers, my school has a pretty incredible student body as well. We are a small school of around 250 students, and there are 61 sophomores. Needless to say, we know each other pretty well. I have been blessed in high school so far with many great friends and one really wonderful boyfriend. (If you haven't met Noah yet, you've probably heard me talk about him at least once and likely to the point where you wished you never had to hear about him again. But just in case you haven't heard me talk about him, he's pretty great.) Some of my other friends include the ever-dramatic theater kid with an incredibly intellectual mind, Nick Grozier,author of "50 Shades of Grozier". Also in my friend group, Tayler who is beautiful and sweet and funny and wonderful in so many of her anime-loving ways. And Lyndsi who is also beautiful, whom all the boys love, and who is lovely. And Emma, who is somewhat crazy but wonderfully sarcastic. Brennen, who is absolutely crazy but funny and smarter than he lets on. Sammy, who is brilliant and one of those people you know you can trust. At my school, there are so many people I call my friends. Too many to list, for sure. But the point is, the variety of types of people, the true diversity in more than race, is astounding and wonderful. I am proud to call myself a Career Center Middle College Knight.
Therefore, my point is, I believe, proven. I love school, and I absolutely have reason to!
Always, Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment