Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My Sweet Sixteen!

GUESS WHAT TODAY IS?!
Today, I turn 16 years old! I love being able to say that. "I'm 16." It just sounds nice.
I have dreamed of being sixteen since I was about six. So for the past decade, I have dreamed of this very day. It sets the expectations for this otherwise ordinary Tuesday pretty high, doesn't it?
So, reality check.
Today is going to consist of morning Bible study at school, then classes. Let's see...Spanish: I have a presentation due. Biomed: work to catch up on, as always. Math: Going to be staying after for tutoring this afternoon to correct learning targets. English: Exams are soon, let's get some stuff done.
Overall, how extraordinary is my sweet sixteen? Because if I don't get those grades back to A's where they belong, that amazing party we have planned for this weekend isn't going to happen. It reminds me that sometimes, it's not so great to expect so much out of something that it can never be as good as you expect it to be.
That's not to say my birthday isn't going to be good. I have some really amazing friends, and I can't imagine how they could make today anything but good for me. I'm sure I'll get lots of happy birthday's and it will be wonderful. But to expect my sixteenth birthday to be the showstopping day that I once imagined is a little ridiculous. I've mentioned my math teacher's wife before. (Author Kimberly Rae.) This whole scenario reminds me of a story I read on her blog, about expectations. In the story, Kim learned not to expect too much out of her husband, because he, like everyone else is human. And there was really no way he could've known she wanted him to buy her flowers...until she bought them herself. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is that expecting my birthday to be the most incredible day to ever exist is a little overzealous of me. Who's to say something completely horrible won't happen and that when I'm older, it won't be a great day to think back on? (Hopefully, nothing horrible will happen, and I'll still have a great birthday.)
But, you know, it already isn't what I dreamed of. For one, house fire! I never imagined getting ready for school on my sixteenth birthday in a somewhat cramped house, sharing a bathroom with not only one member of my family, but all three of them. See? Already not what was expected of my special birthday. But you know what? That's okay! It doesn't have to be exactly what I expected to be great! I am a very blessed sixteen year old girl! I have a family, a house, two dogs, my writing, my boyfriend, my friends, an amazing church family, good books, caramel apple cider...the list goes on and on! I'm in a good place, and I have realized that just because the unexpected happens, doesn't mean I can't make something good out of it. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. It's a pretty good motto to live by, if you ask me. (Maybe stir in some thankfullness in with that sugar, too.)
So, happy birthday to me, and it's going to be a good day, no matter what kind of lemons life throws at me!
Always, Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment